Peckham People Archive

Peckham Vicars

A list of all vicars and ministers in charge of churches where all or part of the parish is today in SE15. (To be completed.) Camden Chapel/Church (1795) 1952 church closed. St Chrysostom, Peckham (1814) (formerly Peckham Chapel) Early 20C fell into disuse. St George, Camberwell (1824) (including Trinity College Mission) Christ Church, Old Kent

George Augustus Polgreen Bridgetower (1778-1860)

The Princes and the Prodigy In 1860 Victory Cottages, Peckham, was a small row of eight cottages on Bedford Street, now called Sandison Road. Today Jack Jones House stands on the site. Newspaper adverts for the freehold described: ‘genteel cottages, commanding the best class of tenants for such sized houses’. They offered a respectable home

The Free Sugar Ladies Of Peckham

In 2007 the Museum of London Docklands at Canada Water opened a permanent gallery, ‘London, Sugar and Slavery’. Amongst the extensive  information on the anti-slavery campaign is a display of  teapots and bowls overprinted with anti-slavery messages, and in the section on women campaigners you can see a pamphlet printed in 1828 for the Peckham

The Spitta family of Peckham

In W H Blanch’s book Ye Parish of Camerwell: “The wealthy family of Spitta lived [in Peckham House] in great style, giving fêtes, or what would now be termed garden-parties, to their neighbours, and dispensing charity with no niggard hand amongst the poor of the locality.” Several generations of the family were associated with Peckham:

Plaques in Peckham and Nunhead

Peckham and Nunhead have a wide range of plaques commemorating the local significance of a person, event or building. These permanent records are often fixed to a building where an individual lived or worked. The major plaque-awarding organisations have different criteria; the most  stringent is English Heritage. This scheme was started in 1876 and was

Charles Joseph Walls, The Wayward Curate

A Peckham trial Until the early 1890s Charles Joseph Walls appears to have led a fairly ordinary life. He was born in late 1861 in Ilkley, Yorkshire, one of ten children to Frederick Walls, a stockbroker, and his wife Maria. By 1867 the family had moved to 18 Fawcett Street, Kensington (1871 Census) and by

George Choumert

George Choumert (1746-1831), who developed large areas of our local community, came originally from Lorraine in France, but moved to England when he married into the wealthy Fendall family of Bermondsey, becoming a British citizen in 1796. A patent of 7 August 1783, relating to his invention of a machine for cutting, splitting and dividing

George Clift and Frederick Layton Clift

Arson in Nunhead George Clift (born 1837) and Frederick Layton Clift (born 1839) were the youngest sons of Isaac Clift and Sarah Ann Layton. Isaac was a skilled cordwainer in Islington with several employees. After he died in about 1840, Sarah married William Lanham, a tiler and plasterer and moved to Westbury, Wiltshire in 1848.