News Archive

Old picture sent for identification

Our editor was consulted by staff in Southwark Local History Library about a picture that had been sent for identification. He was excited when he realised that it was an 1834 painting of the High Street in Peckham. On the left it shows a small part of Hanover Chapel and one of the houses was

Transition Town Peckham aims to improve Peckham

Local people are working to make Peckham a greener, happier and healthier place. They aim to reduce energy use, grow their own food, reduce waste and congestion, and much more. For more information call 07532 069 879, see

Motorcycle designer commemorated

A blue plaque at 8 Philip Walk commemorates Edward Turner who was a notable engineer and motorcycle designer. Reports of the plaque unveiling on 25 October 2009 have been published in Nacelle: The Magazine of the Triumph Owners Motor Cycle Club (December 2009 and January 2010). Stephen Humphrey, Archivist in Southwark Local History Library, did

Campaign succeeds – 18th century house listed

The listing of number 58 Peckham High Street at Grade II is the happy conclusion to a long campaign by the Peckham Society to see the timber framed buildings on the High Street recognised and protected. Since English Heritage turned down the Society’s request to list the buildings in 2000, it has collected additional information

Plaque honours Dr Isidore Crown

Our society has campaigned successfully to have the name ISIDORE CROWN MEDICAL CENTRE outside the surgery which is now called DMC Chadwick Road. Dulwich Medical Centre runs the practice that was originally started in Bellenden Road by Dr Crown, who is one of our members, in 1953. The plaque was unveiled in the Isidore Crown

Tube to Peckham given go-ahead

In 2012 people will be able to travel by Underground to and from Peckham. The East London Line will be extended from Surrey Quays to Queen’s Road Peckham, Peckham Rye, Denmark Hill, Clapham High Street, Wandsworth Road and Clapham Junction. We hope that by issue number 130 of our magazine we will have published a

Pioneer Health Centre doctors honoured with plaque

An English Heritage blue plaque was unveiled at the original Peckham Pioneer Health Centre at 142 Queen’s Road, Peckham, on 26 March 2009. This was to honour Drs George Scott Williamson and Innes Pearse who founded the centre in 1926. Dr Margaret Pelling of the Wellcome Unit for the History of Medicine, University of Oxford,

Park and Wildlife Garden Centre win awards

Every year the Government hands out Green Flags to the best parks and open spaces. Peckham Rye Park has received an award for the second year in succession. The flag means that the judges believe it to be a safe and well-maintained place for people to be. A Green Pennant, which recognises a high quality

Co-operative House re-opens

An old Co-op site has been modernised thanks to a multi-million pound redevelopment project. The Royal Arsenal Co-op Society’s shop in Southwark known as Co-operative House is being converted into luxury flats. Local activist John Beasley, who edits the Peckham Society News, says he is pleased with the way the building has been converted into

Livesey Museum closes

Our Society deplores the decision made by Southwark Council to close Livesey Museum. It originally opened as a library on 18 October 1890 and was a gift from George Livesey, Chairman of the South Metropolitan Gas Company, to Camberwell Vestry which ran local affairs until Camberwell Borough Council began its work in 1900. The library