Burials of Peckham and Nunhead residents would probably have taken place in one of the three municipal cemeteries. There were no church graveyards.
Nunhead Cemetery was laid out and consecrated in 1840. The two chapels were built in 1844.
Perhaps the least known, but most attractive, of the great Victorian Cemeteries of London. Consecrated in 1840, it is one of the seven great Victorian cemeteries established in a ring around the outskirts of London. It contains examples of the magnificent monuments erected in memory of the most eminent citizens of the day, which contrast sharply with the small, simple headstones marking common, or public, burials. Its formal avenue of towering limes and the Gothic gloom of the original Victorian planting gives way to paths which recall the country lanes of a bygone era.
Camberwell Old Cemetery
In the 1850s, the Camberwell Burial Board was established to solve the problem of Camberwell’s burial shortage in its churchyards. In 1855, the board bought 30 acres of meadow land and established it as the Burial Ground of St Giles, Camberwell.
The cemetery has fine examples of gothic revival architecture. The lodge and chapels were designed by George Gilbert Scott’s architecture firm, who also designed St Pancras station and the Albert Memorial.
By 1984, 300,000 burials had been carried out at the cemetery. Camberwell New Cemetery was founded in 1901 in order to provide more space. The majority of burials now take place in this cemetery.
Camberwell New Cemetery
The cemetery was opened in 1927 and the Church of England section was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Woodcock Hough the Lord Bishop of Woolwich. Honor Oak Crematorium is situated in the Cemetery and is notable for it’s beautiful stained glass window. The building was designed by Aston Webb and completed in 1939.