The Caroline Gardens Conservation Area is situated south of the Old Kent Road, off Asylum Road. The conservation area boundary is tightly drawn around the extent of the Licensed Victualler’s Asylum development, which is physically defined by its enclosing railings and walls. The almshouse development was built in phases between 1827-66. The scale, form, architecture and materials of the conservation area are consistent. The modest scale and simple architectural treatment of the 2 storey houses is elevated to a grand composition through the careful creation of palace fronted facades providing a generous scale. The centrepiece of the development is the chapel, which forms the focal point for the range on Asylum Road.
Caroline Gardens – designated 27 September 1968
London Gazette September 1968