Dozens of girls’ schools, both day and boarding, flourished in Peckham in the nineteenth century. (Some also taught young). boys. The schools below are those which lasted longest. Some appear to have survived for many decades, though this may be continuity of the name alone while the school itself was sold, inherited or otherwise taken over by new management.

Charlton House School

(at least 1861-1881)

On Peckham Rye Mrs. Henry Collett has established a college for young ladies in the house formerly occupied by R. A. Gray, Esq., J.P..

Ye Parish of Camerwell W.H. Blanch (1875)

Claremont House

(at least 1841-1911)
Peckham High Street, Asylum Road and Lausanne Road. Run by Anna Maria Sanders and Henriette Vassily.

Hatcham Manor House School

(at least 1851-1881)
Queens Road (south side). ‘Mrs Steel, Ladies Boarding School.’
View of Hatcham Manor House

In this Establishment, the Pupils enjoy all the privileges and comforts of Home, combined with a Sound and Accomplished Education based on Christian principles. The Residence is spacious and airy, surrounded by extensive Pleasure-grounds. A French Protestant Lady resides in the house. Professors of eminence attend for the Accomplishments. Lectures are delivered on various subjects. Prospectuses and References can be obtained on application. A Lady or Two Sisters can be received as Parlour Boarders.

The British Banner, Thursday, 17 September 1857

The Manor House School

(at least 1841-1881)

Has been conducted by Mrs. Tattersall in the old Basing Manor House for twenty-one years. The quaint old manor-house was no doubt part of the original manorial mansion of the Gardiners of Peckham, at one time lords of Basing manor. During the reigns of the first and second Charles the Manor House is often alluded to, and in the history of the house of Gardiner will be found many curious and interesting letters written from ‘Basings’ in Peckham. It is perhaps only fair to assume that the present building forms but a small portion of the original mansion, whilst the immense estates surrounding the manor-house have since been sacrificed to the progress of modern times. There is a tradition that John Wesley preached within the walls of this interesting edifice. We are indebted to the courtesy of the present occupier for an inspection of the truly beautiful specimens of oak panelling and antique carving,. At the present time there is attached to the school about two acres and a half of land, now used as recreation-ground, &c., for the pupils. A portion of the adjoining house, occupied by Mr. James Chubb, draper, was no doubt a part of the old mansion of the Gardiners.

Ye Parish of Camerwell W.H. Blanch (1875)

Myrtle House

(at least 1841-1875)

Queens Road, Peckham. Interesting from the fact that it was once the residence of Mr. (afterwards Sir Benjamin) Brodie. The Misses Clifton now conduct the school, which has been established more than twenty years. The school buildings are at least 250 years old, and the oak carving and panelling throughout the house are curious and interesting in the extreme.

Ye Parish of Camerwell W.H. Blanch (1875)

Pelican House School

(at least 1841-1891)

Peckham Road. Has been built at least 200 years, and the pelicans, from which it derives its name, originally stood on brick pilasters at the entrance gates. The house is now occupied by a school, which was established about fifty years ago, under the superintendence of Mrs. and the Misses Fletcher. For the last three years it has been conducted by Miss Dixie, niece of the Misses Fletcher, and the number of pupils has greatly increased, being now about seventy- five. The house was formerly occupied by Miles Stringer, Esq., a gentleman who took an active part in all local affairs. The Fletchers of Pelican House were related to Mr. Fletcher, formerly of the Denmark Hill Grammar School.

Ye Parish of Camerwell W.H. Blanch (1875)

The Poplars

(at least 1851-1891)

Misses Grove, formerly of Chepstow House, Peckham Road, have recently migrated to “The Poplars’ Peckham Rye.

Ye Parish of Camerwell W.H. Blanch (1875)