On Saturday 17 May 2014 the second Peckham Society blue plaque was unveiled at Elm House, Elm Grove by the Chairman of the Peckham Society, Peter Frost. Derek Kinrade gave the background to William Griggs (1832-1911) who was the foremost lithographer of his day. He was a contemporary of William H. Blanch, the subject of the Peckham Society’s first blue plaque unveiled in 2013. We were then entertained by the “Ukelele Band” while we celebrated with drinks and other refreshments.
Many guests were present including the chairmen of the Dulwich Society, Ian McInnes, the Camberwell Society, Nick Holt and Jeremy Leach from the Walworth Society. When William Griggs lived and worked here Peckham was part of the historic borough of Camberwell so it was appropriate to have other representatives of other districts in the old borough present.
The timing was fortuitous as Southwark Council had renamed the small park opposite the house “William Griggs Garden” a few months previously.
We are exceedingly grateful to Francine Campbell who hosted the event at Elm House where she has lived for some time, and to David Champion for photographing the event.