Our Lady of Sorrows

(formerly the Capuchin Franciscan Church of our Lady of Seven Dolours)
Bird in Bush Road SE15 1RH
Website: www.ourladyofsorrowspeckham.co.uk
http://www.rc.net/southwark/peckham

  • Consecrated: 4 October 1866
  • No. of seats: 1000 (1894)
  • Still in use

The task of establishing the first Roman Catholic church in Peckham was given to a mission of Capuchin Friars, a branch of the Franciscan Order. As their congregation was not wealthy, the raising of funds was difficult despite contributions from, for example, the King of Naples. A small chapel and school erected in Peckham Park Road in 1855 rapidly proved too small, so in October 1866 the large, new church of brick with ragstone dressings designed by E.W. Pugin was opened with impressive ceremony. In 1874 there were about 3000 Catholics in the district of Peckham.

For more on the history: http://taking-stock.org.uk/Home/Dioceses/Archdiocese-of-Southwark/Peckham-Our-Lady-of-Sorrows

 

St Thomas the Apostle

81, Evelina Rd, Nunhead SE15 3HL
Website: www.stthomasnunhead.org.uk

  • Consecrated: 5 November 1905
  • Still in use

Funded by the Ellis Bequest.

 

St James the Great

45 Elm Grove SE15 5DD
Website: https://stjamesthegreatpeckham.org

  • Built: 1904;  Architect: Possibly F.W. Tasker;  Cost: £1000
  • Consecrated: March 1904
  • Still in use

One of the 13 London churches built with money from the Ellis Bequest – legacy of Miss Frances Ellis (1846-1930).

For more on the history: http://taking-stock.org.uk/Home/Dioceses/Archdiocese-of-Southwark/Peckham-Rye-St-James-the-Great

 

Former Roman Catholic convents

There have been at least three convents in Peckham:

Sion House, Bridgettine Convent, High Street (1810-1814)

SEE   Syon House

 

Nazareth House, Convent of the Sisters of the Christian Retreat, Gordon Road (1848-1870s)

The sisters of the Christian retreat came to England in December, 1848, and after residing at Peckham for about two years, removed to the Manor House, Kennington. They returned to Peckham in 1857, but were obliged to leave the latter residence on account of the railway.

Ye Parish of Camerwell W.H. Blanch (1875)

 

Marist Convent, ‘The Retreat’, Queen’s Road (behind Hollydale Road) (late 1870s-1940)

The Marist Sisters moved to Ottery St Mary in December 1940  after being bombed out of Peckham. The school continued there until closure in 2001.

 

[Text moved from: http://www.peckhamhistory.org.uk/churchesRC.htm]