Listed buildings in Peckham
Peckham has no Grade I buildings and the only II* one is the former Pioneer Health Centre in St Mary’s Road. (Grade I buildings are of paramount importance to the nation and grade II* are of outstanding interest.) The first building to be listed in SE15 was the Licensed Victuallers’ Asylum on 28/02/1962, and the most recent The Ivy House pub on 20/04/2012.
Buildings listed in SE15 are a strange assortment: from individual buildings and terraces of domestic housing (many inside conservation areas) to monuments in Nunhead Cemetery – and telephone kiosks.
Here is a list of the non-residential buildings and monuments which you can see in Peckham (date of listing in brackets).
- Celestial Church of Christ and attached wall and railings, Glengall Rd Formerly St Andrew. Anglican church. By E Bassett Keeling, 1864-65. (17/09/1998)
- Church of St Antholin, Nunhead Lane. By Ewan Christian, 1877. Restored after war damage, 1957 by Laurence King. (27/09/1972)
- Our Lady of Sorrows Church, Friary Rd. RC (Franciscan) church. By Edward Welby Pugin, 1864-66. (27/09/1972
- St Luke’s Church, Camberwell, Diamond St. By Arthur Campbell Martin, 1953-4. (12/04/2000)
- Baptist chapel, Rye Lane. By Bland, 1863. (27/09/1972)
- Post Office Depot, Highshore Rd. Formerly Friends Meeting House, 1826. (27/09/1972)
- Former St Luke’s Church of England Primary School (Camden Schools), Sumner Rd. Primary school, now community centre.(27/09/1972)
- St John’s and St Clement’s School, Adys Rd. Formerly Adys Road Board School. By TJ Bailey, 1883-4. (17/09/1998)
- Ivydale Road Primary School, Ivydale Rd. Also Caretaker’s Cottage, related buildings and wall. Former Ivydale Road Board School, 1891. (17/09/1998)
- ‘Southwark Educational Services Centre’ and perimeter wall, Bellenden Rd. Former Bellenden Road Board School. Formerly Bellenden Road Board school, now Belham Primary School. 1876. (17/09/1998)
- The Kentish Drovers Public house, 720 Old Kent Road, c1840. Now New Saigon restaurant. (27/09/1972)
- The Ivy House, 40 Stuart Road. By A E Sewell, 1930s. (20/04/2012)
- Licensed Victuallers’ Benevolent Institution (Caroline Gardens), Asylum Rd: North Lodge, South Lodge, Main Block, North Range, Back Range, railings and gates to Caroline Gardens (28/02/1962). Also annexe to offices at 10 Asylum Road. By FE Harford, 1913-14. (added 17/09/1998)
- Girdlers’ Almshouses, Choumert Rd. Also walls, gates and railings. By Woodthorpe, 1852. (27/09/1972)
- Beeston’s Gift Almshouses, Consort Rd. Also gates, piers and railings. Built for the Girdlers’ Company, 1834. (27/09/1972). Cast iron water pump in garden in front of almshouses. Mid C19. (added 17/09/1998)
- Beer and Wine Trade Homes, Nunhead Green. By William Webbe, 1852-3. (27/09/1972)
- Camberwell Public Library and Livesey Museum, 682 Old Kent Rd. By R P Whellock, 1890. Closed 2008. Now Treasure House (London) CIC independent school. (17/09/1998)
- Former Pioneer Health Centre, St Mary’s Rd. Later Southwark Adult Education Institute; now residential. (27/09/1972)
- Willowbrook Centre, 48 Willowbrook Rd. Originally a house, now managed by Peckham Voluntary Sector Forum. (27/09/1972)
- 58 Peckham High Street. 1720s house. Now a shop.
- Industrial buildings and statues
- Honor Oak Pumping Station, Cheltenham Road. Also Valve House. (17/09/1998)
- Gas standard lamp, Canal Grove. Now adapted to electric light. (17/09/1998)
- Statue of George Livesey formerly in the forecourt of the Gas Works offices, Old Kent Rd. By George Pomeroy, 1908-1914. Bronze, life-sized. (17/09/1998). Where is he now?
- Peckham Rye Station Railway station, Station Way. By Charles Henry Driver, 1864-6, for the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway. (31/01/2008)
Cemetery and monuments
- Nunhead Cemetery buildings, Linden Grove: Chapel of Nunhead Cemetery (deconsecrated), East Lodge, West Lodge, Entrance gate piers, gates and railings to Nunhead Cemetery (27/09/1972)
- Funerary monuments in Nunhead Cemetery, Linden Grove (17/09/1998): Henry Daniel (d.1867), John Allan (d.1865), Maria Proom (d.1872), John Moritz Oppenheim (d.1864) and Frederick Schroeter (d.1876), Sophia Kempton (d.1849), Thomas Humphreys (d.1868), Vincent Figgins (d.1844);
- The Scottish Martyrs’ Memorial, Nunhead Cemetery Granite Obelisk (1851) and Stearns Mausoleum (to Laura Stearns, d.1900).
Model K2 cast-iron kiosk designed by Giles Gilbert Scott in 1927. All listed 24/12/1986.Many were originally located outside public houses – though these buildings themselves are excluded from the listing.
- outside Peckham Bazaar, Consort Rd. (Originally The Prince Albert, PH)
- opposite Lyndhurst Square, Lyndhurst Way
- outside White Horse PH, Nigel Road
- junction with Scylla Road Peckham Rye, near The Rye Hotel
- outside Montpelier Arms, Queen’s Rd
Please let us know if any buildings have been inadvertently been omitted from the list above.
Why not go for a walk, look around you, look up, and see some of the buildings of interest and history that we have here in Peckham.
The buildings of England. London 2: South by Bridget Cherry and Nikolaus Pevsner (1983)
(Reprinted from: The Peckham Society News, the quarterly magazine of The Peckham Society. This is sent to members every spring, summer, autumn and winter. Back issues, where available, are available for £2.00 inc. p&p or 6 for £10.00.)