George Choumert (1746-1831), who developed large areas of our local community, came originally from Lorraine in France, but moved to England when he married into the wealthy Fendall family of Bermondsey, becoming a British citizen in 1796. A patent of 7 August 1783, relating to his invention of a machine for cutting, splitting and dividing hides and skins, describes him as a tanner, living in Five-foot Lane, Bermondsey Street.
His wife, Lydia, died aged 82 on 10 February 1825. George inherited estates in Bermondsey which by his death were producing an estimated annual rental of £6,000. In Peckham he is best known for his association with Holly Grove, originally George Street, a private road under a deed of 1831.
Choumert Road and Choumert Square, infilled in a garden of a Rye Lane house, were also named after him.
Reprinted from Peckham Society News, Issue 137 (Sumner 2014)
George Choumert married Lydia Inglis on 28 Sep 1785 at St Mary Magdalene Church, Bermondsey. Lydia was a widow.
He took on apprentices Edward Ingram (1787) and Charles Papegay (1791).
Choumert built South Street Terrace on Rye Lane in 1815 followed by Holly Grove (then George Street) between 1816 and 1822.
Details on Surrey, England, Jury-Qualified Freeholders and Copyholders registers:
George Choumert, Tanner at Russell Street, Southwark (1805)
George Choumert Esq., South Street, Peckham (1808-13)
George Choumert Esq., Rye Lane, Peckham (1814-19)
George Choumert, Peckham (1820-24)
George Choumert, Tanner at Russell Street, Southwark (1820-24)