Peckham and Nunhead have a wide range of plaques commemorating the local significance of a person, event or building. These permanent records are often fixed to a building where an individual lived or worked. The major plaque-awarding organisations have different criteria; the most stringent is English Heritage. This scheme was started in 1876 and was
Introduction Beneath the railway viaduct between Consort Road and Brayards Road is a row of about twenty arches. For over seventy years they were the location of two leading British foundries casting large scale bronzes, many of which can be seen today on the streets of London and further afield. Dr Salter’s Daydream by Diane
A Peckham trial Until the early 1890s Charles Joseph Walls appears to have led a fairly ordinary life. He was born in late 1861 in Ilkley, Yorkshire, one of ten children to Frederick Walls, a stockbroker, and his wife Maria. By 1867 the family had moved to 18 Fawcett Street, Kensington (1871 Census) and by
The large Victorian industrial building next to the bus garage depot on Blackpool Road is described today as the ‘Old Mill’ but little is known of its history. On late 19th maps and early 20th century maps it is labelled ‘British Wine Manufactory’. In 1871 the road layout in that area of Peckham was complete.
George Choumert (1746-1831), who developed large areas of our local community, came originally from Lorraine in France, but moved to England when he married into the wealthy Fendall family of Bermondsey, becoming a British citizen in 1796. A patent of 7 August 1783, relating to his invention of a machine for cutting, splitting and dividing
The later nineteenth century was a period of very rapid growth in suburban London, and there was often a misfit between the newly populated areas and the existing public transport system. Sometimes there was an adequate road and rail service already in existence. But often a main road or railway line was some distance away,
To most people the thought of heavy industry in London up to the turn of the 21s century might seem absurd. George England and Co. started up from Newcastle upon Tyne in 1812 and began producing locomotives in Hatcham Iron Works in the 1840s. The site lay just east of Pomeroy Street in Peckham. They
Arson in Nunhead George Clift (born 1837) and Frederick Layton Clift (born 1839) were the youngest sons of Isaac Clift and Sarah Ann Layton. Isaac was a skilled cordwainer in Islington with several employees. After he died in about 1840, Sarah married William Lanham, a tiler and plasterer and moved to Westbury, Wiltshire in 1848.
The last Zeppelin raid on London in the First World War took place on the night of 19-20 October 1917. The intended target was Sheffield but heavy winds blew Navy Zeppelin L45 off course. After bombing Hendon and Piccadilly Circus, it passed over Elephant and Castle and dropped a 300kg (660lb) bomb on Calmington Road